Thursday, July 20, 2006
The husband, he did good!
For the anniversary dinner, the Leester requested that we not go out for dinner but that I prepare his favorite dish, Jambalaya. Anyone I have made this for absolutely loves it so I have decided to share the recipe with you. It is really simple and quite yummy. Enjoy!



1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped bell peppers
3 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne (This looks far more intimidating than it ends up being, I promise)
1 pound andouille, chorizo, or other smoked sausage cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
1 1/2 pounds boneless white and dark chicken meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
3 bay leaves
3 cups medium-grain white rice
6 cups water (I usually take liberties here and add closer to 7 cups of water, as I like it to be saucier)
1 cup chopped green onions

Heat the oil in a large cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, 2 teaspoons of the salt and 1 teaspoon of the cayenne. Stirring often, brown the vegetables for about 20 minutes, or until they are caramelized and dark brown in color. Scrape the bottom and sides of the pot to loosen any browned particles. Add the sausage and cook, stirring often for 10 to 15 minutes, scraping the bottom and sides of the pot to loosen any browned particles. Season the chicken with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cayenne. Add the chicken and the bay leaves to the pot. Brown the chicken for 8 to 10 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot to loosen any browned particles. Add the rice and stir for 2 to 3 minutes to coat it evenly. Add the water, stir to combine, and cover. Cook over medium heat for 30 to 35 minutes, without stirring, or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Remove the pot from the heat and let stand, covered for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Stir in the green onions and serve.



Much to my surprise, the Leester also came home bearing this as a gift. Surprise, because we do not usually exchange such things for our anniversary. Bigger surprise, as it is so absolutely awesome and I love it! He did this all on his own you see, instead of being told by me what it is he should buy me or my having offered suggestions in the form of a wish list. My favorite show to watch on TV is called 'Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations'. It can be found on the Travel Channel and believe me, I Tivo every episode. I mean, what could be better than a show about food and travel? Well, this is where I tell you! A show about food and travel as hosted by one seriously funny guy who is pretty hard core about living life and enjoying all of its temptations. This is some entertaining stuff, people! I highly recommend it. Well, not only is Tony Bourdain a seasoned traveller, he is also a NYC Chef and this is one of his books that I have been wanting. Needless to say, the Dee G. is a happy camper! Keep up the good work, Leester G!

Granted, the same night he left the toilet seat up and also just left his socks on the floor when he took them off his feet. *sigh* Perhaps one day I'll have him trained properly! Maybe in the next eight years?


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe that it has been 8 years for you guys! That is so awsome! Leester did it all by himself ???? Florida must be rubbing off on him. Send some this way!!

Blogger Dee G. said...

Haha, you are such a dork! Thanks for the comments though! And yes, he cooked once. When we were dating. To trick me. The bastard. (Obviously the anniversary was two days ago now, so dont the rest of you wonder what happened to the love!)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dee-
This is some funny stuff. Having a great time in California. Returning in the morning! Can't Wait! Missing home terribly.
Love, T

Blogger Buffy said...

I haven't had Jambalaya in so long.

And never from a man.

*envy*

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can cook. So, you can tell whats her name(RSM)that there is no chemical thing....and I live in Cajun country, so you know it's all about the Jambalaya, Gumbo, Crawfish Etouffe', Boudin, and some good ol Cracklin.

Blogger Dee G. said...

Mmmm...I LOVE the cajun thang. The food thang Charlie, get your mind outta the gutter! :P

Post a Comment

<< Home