Monday, July 24, 2006
JAMAICA: More than just Bob Marley and Maryjane..
Now that I have your attention....I do not anticipate that this will be a food or recipe blog but I figured why not share this one too.


Jamaican Jerk Pork Tenderloin
1/4 cup allspice
1 1/2 inch piece of cinnamon
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
6 scallions, including green tops, sliced
1 Scotch Bonnet-type chili
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dark Jamaica rum
1 (4 pound) boned pork loin

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the berries on a pie tin and roast for 10 minutes. Pulverize them in a spice mill with the cinnamon and nutmeg. Place the spice mixture in a food processor, fitted with a metal blade. Add the scallions and chile. Season with salt and pepper. Process until a paste is formed. Add the rum and mix well. Rub the mixture all over the pork loin. Cover and allow to marinate for at least 1 hour at room temperature.

Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees F.

Remove the meat and place in a roasting pan, and roast for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and continue to roast for 1 1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with the Island Beans and Fried Plantains. Alternately, serve it with whatever you'd like, really. As seen in the pictures I served it over plain white rice and some sort of spicy corn/bean/mushroom concoction that I threw together because I thought the picture would need added interest. Instead, it looks like some sort of explosion as that plate is pretty damn busy looking.

At any rate though, this is pretty flavorful and not too too spicy in spite of the fact that it calls for scotch bonnet peppers, which? Ouch.

Now, is it any wonder that I seem to always be trying to lose the same 15 pounds??

Bring on the Red Stripe, Mon!!


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was doing good on my diet. Then this. Thanks! If I make this, will I sound like Miss Cleo? "Cahl mee now for your free readin"

Blogger Dee G. said...

Not just sound like her Charlie, you may look like her! Be careful!

Post a Comment

<< Home