Tuesday, February 20, 2007
The Diagnosis Is In:
Oldilocks is old. Huh...imagine that.

Seriously though, there is nothing that can be done to alleviate that which ails her aside from surgery. And? You guessed it. We wont be entertaining any such thing, for the obvious reasons. What we will do, however, is make sure that her days, however numbered, are as comfortable and content as can be managed.

God Bless sugar cookies, tea, Turner Classic movies, the fireplace, Woman's Day and Good Housekeeping magazines. For now. And if He sees fit, that she improve and can go do things she is wont to do. Things like having her hair done and having a lunch and movie date.

I love her to pieces and I hope and pray her suffering is next to none, that she is able to weather this stage of her life gracefully and with some pleasure.

No sooner do I type that I get a quick dousing of the unforgiving cold that is dementia when I am informed by someone close to her that I never do anything for her, never speak to her, never spend any time with her, never take care of her; according to her. These are the things she says, after I wait on her hand and foot. Some days it gets to be a heavy thing to carry and I have to remind myself not to take it personally, when my knee-jerk reaction is to think that if she is so miserable here perhaps she would like a 10x10 room in a nursing home more.

*Give me strength too, please.


---------

A typical Tuesday Morning conversation at the household of The Family G:

Me: **Dude! Your sock drawer is HURTING. I think it is time we do some sock shopping for you.
Hubs: My sock drawer sox.
Me: It really does. And they are rocking nothing off of anyone. They are so holy they should go to church.
Hubs: Darn socks!

A few minutes later:

Me: I just found eight pairs of your socks in the sock drawer belonging to our son.
Hubs: Darn him, too!

---------

In other news, I am currently having something of a struggle regarding ***self-image and consequently, my perspective is skewed. Please forgive the sporadic postings while I pull my head out of my ass. Or as some would more eloquently put it, get my act together.

Maybe it is Winter Doldrums.

---------

*I don't need any follow-up phone calls checking up on my mental state and well being, dear family and friends. I am just venting and would rather not verbalize that which might make me less than pleasant to talk to. Thank you for your understanding.

**I totally do use this word as much as I convey here, even though it is dorky and I am not thirteen. I love the word Dude. By the way...where is my car?

***I reiterate *1.0 and again thank you again for your understanding.

---------


12 Comments:

Blogger steenface! said...

Awww, poor Oldilocks. Poor Dee.

I've been in kind of one of those mental states lately too. Bleh.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand * & ***, but I would like to say DUDE! You so have extra angels watching over you and yours for being such an angel to little old Oldilocks. Dementia is a crappy, crappy thing to deal with. I'm thinking about you with all that. As precious Honey used to say, "your mansion in heaven is growing with each good deed you do." I'm sure she's in a GINORMOUS castle! :o)

Blogger Dare said...

And they are rocking nothing off anyone...bwhahaha..I love you two.

Blogger Life said...

I'm sorry she's sick- you guys are so wonderful for taking care of her. I would get defensive hearing I wasn't taking care of her after all you do but it isn't her - just the senility. keep up the good work and you're bound to win the lottery or something. you're building good karma. dude.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of a car should we rent? I got new jammies and slippers for our trip. I can hardly wait.

there, nothing about 'How are you doin', just all about me. Now everyone knows where you get 'all about me" from.

What do you mean, 'by the way....where is my car"?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. What in the name of all that is holy do you know about WINTER!!!

P.P.S. Since I'm goin to be there for Mother's day, what are you going to do for me on that day? Think about it, you don't have anything else to do.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't that just like my sister not to know about hey Dude.. where's my ...
Sorry about the old one.. getting old sucks!!! Count to 10 and remember it is not her. Love her like you can...
Love your blog, whenever it comes... brings a real smile. Thanks!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sypathy is located between shit and syphlis in websters new edition, so there!!!!!.

One for the leester,
A protestant celebrates christmas eve by going to evening service and gives thanks, for the birth of our saviour. Singing many hyms.

A catholic goes to Christmas eve mass to give thanks for the same reason also singing many hymns.

Absolutely no harm in the following!!!!

Our jewish friends return to the department store
viewing all of the empty shelves and sing only one hymn!!!!
" What a friend we have in Jesus"

Have a good night.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sypathy is located between shit and syphlis in websters new edition, so there!!!!!.

One for the leester,
A protestant celebrates christmas eve by going to evening service and gives thanks, for the birth of our saviour. Singing many hyms.

A catholic goes to Christmas eve mass to give thanks for the same reason also singing many hymns.

Absolutely no harm in the following!!!!

Our jewish friends return to the department store
viewing all of the empty shelves and sing only one hymn!!!!
" What a friend we have in Jesus"

Have a good night.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sooo...my computer is back from the hospital!!!yay!!! baby J immediately jumped on it and monopolized as only a bossy 3yr old can do.

how on earth could you be any less pleasant to talk to!!?!?!!?(said with as much love as the spoiled baby can muster)(and i'm sure taken very well by the obviously jovial and much spoileder(not to mention older) middle sister)(do you love my new word(spoileder)just kiddin'(about most of it)(are you soooo happy with my new found affection of parenthisis??)

Could be worse, you could be getting a month's worth of company....oh yeah...

(just kidding mommy...just trying to make her giggle)

You are going through some serious molly withdrawl...that is my diagnosis(just dont have any medication for you...sorry)

P.S. Dude...really need a new word...may I remind you that it is my son's word for PENIS!!! so you are going around calling all your friends and family PENIS!!! (now they all know this too)...did you know that baby J has taken to ratting his gramma??? and yes by ratting I mean pulling down his pants and wiggling it at her and saying "GRAMMA LOOK AT MY DUDE" and giggling(the fact that she roared w/ laughter the first time has basically ensured that he will be ratting her until the end of time....

P.P.S. WONDER PETS SUCK

P.P.P.S While we are at it...you also need to lose Shakira

P.P.P.P.S postscripts are nearly as fun as parenthisis(and also start with a "P")

Blogger Kait said...

Sorry that Oldilocks is old and that she seems to not be very grateful. That sucks.

Other than that, Um. Yeah. Hi!!!

Blogger Tig said...

I know you don't read these by the time you've moved on to the next blog but I'm here for support anyway. *hug*

Post a Comment

<< Home